Hey there internet,
One thing that we all have to understand is that we change the world simply by being in it. The nature of that change is up to us, either we want it to be a positive change or a negative one. Our impact is what makes us the person we are. To be happy, and fully satisfied, we have to keep working on our impact, and be the best versions of ourselves that we can be.
- Never do, say or act in a way that can hurt people. Everyone is going through a struggle we know nothing about, furthermore, “what goes around comes around”. Karma is real, what we do comes back to us, no matter how long it takes to come back : it will. Be that person that kills everyone with kindness. People can forget just about everything you said or did to them, but they’ll never forget how you made them feel, so think about the impact you have on people before acting. Being an asshole will only make your life worse, because you made other people suffer, you are more likely to meet people who will make you suffer in ways you never even thought of before. Like they say in Wiccan beliefs “An it harm none, do as ye will”.
- Be thankful for what you have, and don’t get envious for what you don’t. There’s a proverb that sums up this idea, and that also invites us to enjoy the simplest things in the world that are at the same time what life is all about (and guess what my blog’s title is… exactly, simplicity) : “In the hope of reaching the moon, men fail to see the flowers that blossom at their feet.” (Albert Schweitzer)
- Deal with your own flaws and inner demons so that you can help others deal with theirs. Meditate, see a doctor if needed, spend time in great outdoors, free your mind, relax, get a massage, work out, spend time doing what you love (and with the people you love)… Anything that will help you get stronger as a body, as a heart, as a soul and as a mind will help you find true happiness. That allows you to be a great help and support to others in need, who haven’t reached your position yet. Of course, I’m not saying that only perfect people can help others, not at all, from what I have seen, it’s often the inverse : people with the biggest amount of problems and flaws can be the most generous one, the broken-hearted can give love more than anyone else and depressed, shattered beings can show real humanity that other people don’t necessarily give. But I’m just saying that holding the shit together and working on thyself is necessary so as to feel happier and to have more energy to help others, to be that helping hand that can help them get back on the road. Just like the persian proverb says “As long as you are standing, give a hand to those who have fallen”. I may even add that even if you are down, give a hand to those in the exact same position, that way, you can both get up on your feet, together.
- Share the knowledge you have. Find out about trending news, read books and articles, watch videos and just grow your consciousness as much as you can. Those who are aware have power, and those who have power can hold about any conversation with any type of people, and what’s a conversation if not words. Our words inevitably change the entire view-point of people because they go directly to our minds, souls and hearts. And people are the foundation of a society. So one who rallies for good, based on a foundation of knowledge and compassion, can undoubtedly shift the course of the planet.
- Spend your time wisely. There is absolutely no doubt that time is one of the rarest things in the world because it is infinite and inexistant at the same time. We are not eternal beings, we’re not some sort of immortal vampires, so our duty is to make good use of our time. Complaining, whining and procrastinating won’t get anyone near our goals or aspirations; action, hard work and dedication will. The future, for sure, belongs to those who prepare for it today. So let’s not waste any minute. If we don’t spend our time working on our careers, hobbies, projects etc, we need to start dedicating some of our time to people. Volunteering, helping people, calling old friends and family members, having a discussion with someone we normally wouldn’t talk to… Basically just giving what we can, and if all we have is time, when can we start giving?
- Travel Travelling broadens our minds and allows us to get to know the world, and ourselves. While travelling, you are likely to meet different people you’ll probably never see again, just the fact that you can smile, small talk, give them advice, tell them where you’re coming from, where you’re going and why you’re actually on the road might change someone’s life for the better. And the same happens to you, as you go in life, you meet people who may say or do things that can help you shift the way you perceive your life, some people as an example give you hope in humanity. So give attention to these moments when they happen, when you talk to strangers, when you see couples passing by, when you overhear conversations… Nothing happens randomly in this random world.
- Don’t let life kill your inner child. Struggles, problems and life in general can sometimes take away all what’s left in us such as dreams, hope, wonder, love etc. But although we lose these senses as a protection so that we never get hurt again, we need to keep in mind that without them, we can never experience true happiness. The Stoics and the nihilists were wrong on some points; I do believe that expectations are what causes disappointment, but everything has to come in moderation. Let’s not let life ruin our inner child and inner happiness. “Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live.” (Norman Cousins)